FREE: How to Draw Santa
Learn how to draw Santa in this quick and easy drawing lesson.
Easy Peasy Level:Beginner
Description:It wouldn't be a Christmas celebration without Santa Claus! In this short drawing lesson we learn the basics of drawing Santa's head which can be used for all sorts of Christmas creations.
You will need:
- White paper
- Black marker or pencil
- Coloured pencils /felt tip markers or paint to add colour.
Easy Peasy Tips:
- When starting a drawing, it is always important to think ahead about how much space you will need for the rest of the drawing. In this artwork we begin with the white rim of Santa's hat but you need to think about leaving enough space for the rest of his hat and head.
- This quick drawing lesson is ideal for teaching beginning artists the basics of Drawing Santa's head. Students gain a great deal of confidence and joy from being able to draw a good Santa head which they can use to create cards, decorations and other Christmas artworks.
Creating Your Artwork:Place your paper landscape style.
- Drawing the hat: In the top half of you page, draw two wide arcs or 'frowns' as shown. Make sure they are the same length and stay the same distance apart all the way along.
- Join the first two lines with a set of curved 'brackets.' Then draw a curved line upwards from the left side of the hat's rim. Stop once it lines up with the right side of the rim.
- Draw a large pom-pom underneath and to the right of the hat's rim, then join the pom pom up with the rest of the hat with two more lines as shown.
- Drawing Santa's Head: On the left side of the hat, draw a jagged line for Santa's hair. You won't be able to see all of this line on the other side as it will be under the pom-pom so just draw the part you think you would see. Then draw two curved lines as shown on the inside of his hair for the beginning of his face. Lastly, add two large black dots for his eyes.
- Add two fat jelly bean shaped eyebrows and 3/4 of an oval for his nose.
- To give Santa character, let's give him a BIG moustache! draw the moustache as shown, joining it up to the nose and the lines we drew earlier for his hair and face. Make sure Santa's moustache is wider than his head. Then draw two curved lines underneath his moustache for his lips.
- Santa's beard: Just like his moustache, let's make it BIG! Starting just down from the tips of the moustache, draw a curved jagged line on each side before joining them up to complete a large oval shaped beard.
- Add two circles for rosy cheeks and some detail on the pom-pom to add interest.
- Add colour to you Santa. You could colour it with pencils, crayons, oil pastels, felt markers or you could even paint it! Try and blend colours like we have to create depth. A little light grey on the white areas as we have done will make the world of difference! Your artwork is now complete.
- Use this artwork as a starting point for all sorts of Christmas artworks. You could make Christmas cards, Christmas posters, the list is endless!
- Why not try and add a body onto Santa. Use the following picture as guide or check out our templates.
Consent to display content from Youtube
Consent to display content from Vimeo
Consent to display content from Google